10 Things I Think While I'm Running
I read an article recently that talked about how our brains work better when we think less. In turn our bodies work more efficiently when we we can do certain physical maneuvers instinctively instead of consciously. This is true for things like martial arts and football. Yes you have to train mentally first to be able to get to the place where your body moves correctly without thinking, but once you get there you move even better.
I'm not there yet with my running but I believe I will be someday. I know people that are able to solve all kinds of problems in their heads when they run. Friends speak about creative inspiration hitting while they run. Certainly it's a stress reliever, even for me.
So here are ten things that go through my head, I swear, every single time I run. Every time. All these things. Some are kind of hilarious even to me. Some are really stupid and should be banished from my head.
1. "What's that twinge in my leg? Stop that. You are not gonna get injured, stupid knee/hamstring/IT band/foot."
2. "This is gonna make me feel so awesome when I'm done. So why doesn't it feel awesome right now?"
3. "I wonder if I'm hydrated enough? Maybe that's why I'm dragging."
4. "Darn it I have to pee. Apparently peeing three times before I left wasn't enough."
5. "Breathe slower. Big breath in through the nose...man why are my nostrils so tiny and narrow?"
6. "I love this song! Let's see if it's the right rhythm for my pace. This song is just a tiny bit slower than I recall. Or maybe I'm faster now...yeah, that's it!"
7. "Wonder if anyone I know drives by while I'm running. Probably not."
8. "This is getting hard, my legs are getting heavy. Remember, I'm running for the glory of God and the rescue of orphans. Keep going." (this is my mantra)
9. "I feel awesome like I could go forever. Don't slow me down you stupid traffic lights or cars pulling out."
10. "Am I done yet? Ouch. (Insert lame excuse here.) Think I'll cut this a bit short today. Next run I'll do more."
Sometimes I do cut it short, sometimes I don't. But I'm always thinking about the next run.
Can you relate to any of these?
This post is linked up at Amanda's Top Ten Tuesday...check it out for lots more great lists.